Part 1:Collecting Temperature Data
Make a chart (similar to the one below) of the average temperature in Coventry over the course of a year. You can find this data at the World Climate web site.
Type in "Coventry" where you are asked to provide the "City or Town Name". When you are taken to the next page, scroll down until you see the listing for Coventry, and select Average Temperature:
COVENTRY, TOLLAND COUNTY, CONNECTICUT USA
Average Maximum Temperature
*Average Temperature - select this item
Average Minimum Temperature
Heating Degree Days
Cooling Degree Days
You may use either of the temperature listings - Celsius or Fahrenheit - but be sure to note which is contained in your chart.
Part 2:Graphing Temperature Data
Make a scatter plot of this
data, and answer the following questions. To make a scatter plot,
place a point on a piece of graph paper to represent each month's average
temperature. Please use the month as the horizontal axis, and the
temperature as the vertical axis.
1. According to the data, what is the coldest month in Coventry? what is the warmest month?
2. Describe the shape of your scatter plot. That is, if you connected the dots (but please don't), what would the line resemble?
3. Describe what the shape of the graph would be like, if you extended it for a period of three years.
4. Explain what might cause the average temperature to follow this pattern.
5. According to the data, the average temperature in August is 66.9oF. That sure doesn't sound like beach weather. How is this temperature accurate?
6. The web site also provided the following information about Coventry: "Located at about 41.80°N 72.35°W." What does this mean?